"We can do no great things. Only small things with great love. " Mother Theresa

November 21, 2012

Being Generous: Friendsgiving, Goats and Kayite

Be Generous.

On Saturday night some friends of ours invited us to celebrate the first annual Friendsgiving. It was a wonderful evening over great food, company and late night dancing (well- late night when you are out with little ones- meaning around 9pm!).


One of our friends asked us each to offer a word of grace for the upcoming year. Our dear friends began to share beautiful words of love, kindness and hope. What kept coming to my heart was "Be Generous". It was a prayer for grace for times when I am not, and a prayer of hope for all of us at the table for the upcoming year.

Today I have a Thanksgiving story of generosity. What all began as a sweet girls generous gift of $12, turned into the $12 Project and a total of $416 dollars raised. This will purchase 9 goats for families in Ethiopia! (And if anyone wants to just round it off...a gift of $34 more would get us to 10!). Thank you so much to all who gave. I haven't yet announced to Sarah Bess the total and I can't wait to see her face when I tell her how many goats were bought!

Several people have commented to me lately that they don't want to just give money. They would rather serve by doing. And while I agree that serving with our hands and feet is very important, it should not be done in lieu of giving the money we have been blessed with. Some of these same people have said it doesn't make people feel good just to 'write a check'. My advice...just try it. It makes you feel amazingly blessed. So I am very thankful for those in my life that choose to do exactly that.

And with that, I have another amazing opportunity for you to be generous this holiday season. Her name is Kayite. She is six years old and in the first grade- just like Sarah Bess and Davis.

But unlike Sarah Bess and Davis, she was born into extreme poverty. She was also born with HIV. Her circumstances and her health are due to no fault of her own. But YOU can bless this sweet girl. Through Project Hopeful Awassa for only $30 month, you can sponsor her to provide needed clothing, food and medical treatment so that she can attend school. Read here if you want to know Why Project Hopeful Awassa?

Be Generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment