"We can do no great things. Only small things with great love. " Mother Theresa

August 29, 2013

Saying Goodbye

Yesterday we said goodbye to Ivanna as she left for the drive to DC. Today she will board an airplane and head back to Ukraine.

"I wonder if we will ever see her again?", Jimmy asked through his tears. I had no answer.

Yesterday was hard. The emotions brought out the worst in all of us. I was thankful for Tuesday night. Pizza as requested by Ivanna and a game of bowling. We gave her a photo book and all shed a few tears as we remembered her time here.

I have learned a lot about myself the past six weeks. Not all of it has been good. There were days I felt very selfish with my time. There were days that the anxiety over the future was too much. There was the reminder of how I desire to control my life. And the reminder that I have no control and this desire is the cause of much suffering.

But I have learned that I can love a stranger. I have learned that I am blessed to be able to love and mother my three littles. Each day there is a choice. To Control or To Listen? I don't always make the right choice. But the blessing is always great when I do.

As Jimmy and I talked over wine on the porch, we hoped that she felt the love we had for her. And I think his simple words say it best, "I am glad we did it."

No comments:

Post a Comment