"We can do no great things. Only small things with great love. " Mother Theresa

April 6, 2015

Putting Jesus in the Eggs

There's no space that His love can't reach. There's no place where we can't find peace. There's no end to amazing grace. 
Crowder 


It is Easter Monday.

The way we celebrate Easter confuses me. The eggs, the bunny, the chocolate. But I have written about that before. Please know, I am not throwing stones. My kids hunted with the best of them yesterday.

In fact, Gabre and I were having some time yesterday morning before the big kids were awake. "Happy Easter, Gabre." I whispered.

This is where you are probably thinking she said, "Christ is Risen," but surprisingly she said, "Can we find the eggs now?"

"Later. Listen. This is a special day. This is a special day because Jesus loves you so much. And you know what else, He loves me too. And Daddy. And the best part, He loves everyone. So we can love everyone just like Jesus."  Profound right. I probably just changed her whole life.

You can tell I did because she said, "Maybe we should put Jesus in the eggs."

Pause for a moment and picture that Easter Egg Hunt. Hilarious, right?

Anyway...the past few years I have been reading a lot about Holy Week and how many of us are in seasons of Good Fridays, or waiting Saturdays with the promise of Easter always coming. And that is such a gift. Such a gift. But what about those that are living Easter Monday? What changes for us today because Sunday happened?

Until two days ago, I had no idea why we called the day that Jesus eats the Passover meal with his disciples before going to the garden, Maundy Thursday. Thankfully, Google did and told me this:

The English word Maundy is derived from the Latin mandatum, or commandment based on Jesus's commandment to his disciples during the last supper "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another." John 13:34 

What if this is where we go on Easter Monday? Right back to Maundy Thursday. Easter made everything new. Everything is new. On Maundy Thursday we don't know what this means. Jesus had not yet died. There had been no resurrection. But now it is Monday and "...as I have loved you" has new meaning. It has to.



No comments:

Post a Comment