"We can do no great things. Only small things with great love. " Mother Theresa

January 3, 2013

Day 2

Day 2 was a long day, but so awesome. We left the hotel about 7:15 for Hanoi University and didn't return until around 9pm.

Some of the funny things that have happened while here:
 ---- at the restaurant the first night, we had a vegetarian menu (3 of the 5 of us are vegetarians) and they had vegetarian beer. You know me- whatever kind of beer sounds good. So Rob (Jane's husband) and I ordered one. Turns out, vegetarian beer is nonalcoholic beer. We promptly sent those back and asked for our beloved Hanoi beer!

--- it was pouring rain this morning getting into the cab. Before Paige could sit down, the cab driver had to take the windshield wiper off her seat. That's right-you only need one windshield wiper people!

--- the driving hasn't been as entertaining for me this trip after my trips to Ethiopia and China. But it is fun to watch through Elizabeth's eyes who hasn't seen something quite like it. Similar to Ethiopia and China, red lights are a suggestion and there is no such thing as a lane for your car. There are motorbikes everywhere and they just all play the game of chicken to get through intersections.

We spent the day presenting to about 30 professionals and 16 parents. The morning was more lecture style and then in the afternoon we did break out sessions.

(tried to put some pictures in here of me presenting- with the beautiful scarf they gave me this morning, but for some reason that function doesn't want to work right now-I will add in Ho Chi Minh if it works there)

It has been such a great experience to meet the families and talk with them about their children with hearing loss. All of these parents (with the exception of one) have been able to get cochlear implants or hearing aids for their children, but in general have no idea how they are hearing with those devices. They all feel they are hearing well, but the documentation and testing of that fact is limited.

After our day at the University, we went to dinner where we were having a meeting with parents that evening hosted by Med El. I can't say enough about how good the food is here in Hanoi. I thought I might lose a few pounds on this trip, but now I am worried I may gain a few. My favorite is this soup that we seem to start every meal with- it is a lemongrass, tomato, tofu brothy soup. I have eaten more tofu in the past two days then I have eaten in my entire life. The warm soup is so good- especially at Hanoi University where they have no heat. That is one way to keep the students awake for class!

We had a large turnout for the parent meeting. We tried to answer their questions as best we could without actually knowing their child. I sat next to a little girl that was around 4 with bilateral implants. At first she would have nothing to do with me, but by the end we were buddies. She was so excited to see Paige was wearing hearing aids. (Paige is a celebrity of sorts around here with the families. They all want to meet her and many of them want to give her pictures of their children, or a gift like fruit).

 Paige ending the meeting with asking the parents what their hopes were for their children. It was very moving to hear from the parents about their dreams for their kids- what we want and desire for our children is universal. Even before the interpreter translated for us, we could see the love and emotion on the parents faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment