"We can do no great things. Only small things with great love. " Mother Theresa

November 26, 2013

Crickets: An Advent Prayer

 I woke to the sound of crickets.  It was one of those perfect fall nights, cool enough to sleep with the windows open. Did the crickets wake me or something else?

I know so little about the cricket. Do they make noise all the time? Why? Can they sleep and make noise at the same time? Do they take turns- some sleep, some chirp? How do they 'do' life? In packs? In herds? By themselves unless it is mating season?

But now as I write in the early hours of dawn, it is hard to hear them. The early morning sounds, the first birds, a train, cars on a distant highway and the rumblings of the first child awake, are drowning out the crickets that were so loud only a few hours ago.

Maybe that is why I often feel so connected to God in the night, even in my dreams.

Maybe God’s presence is like the crickets' song- always there, but sometimes I allow life's little things, to drown out the sound of him. 

Thank you crickets for this simple reminder. I hope to use your music to remind me the spirit is always with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment