"We can do no great things. Only small things with great love. " Mother Theresa

November 1, 2017

40 Letters of Love: Dear Anger

Dear Anger,

Seems strange that this would be a love letter since that's not normally how I would say I feel about you. But you are teaching me- about myself and others.

I know you are there as a protector. Trying to protect from the true emotion lying underneath- fear or heartache or anxiousness or not enough or ego or...

I'm starting to feel you in my body- usually too late, but sometimes in just enough time to say, I see you there. I see you there trying to protect me from ____________ and I would like you to leave. I'm going to choose something else.

I recognize now how you sometimes come out in me from someone else's version of you. Anger in response to anger. I think you are a protection then too. Easier to respond to anger with anger than with love, with empathy, with understanding.

And then there are the times I notice you because one of my loved ones is hurting. Much easier to have you and be angry at the person/ the system/ the situation that caused the pain then it is to sit with them in it and have to feel it myself.

I'm starting to be a watchful observer of you in others, even when you are not directed at me. I see you covering something else up. I see you create a story for them that they were wronged, mistreated, or right. May I observe with empathy.

Yoda once said to young Anika, "Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering".

Thank you for trying to protect us, anger. But I hope to continue to observe you, then wink at you while asking you to leave. I hope you build my awareness and most especially my love.

Yes- even you anger- something to help me choose to love.

Love,
Me




No comments:

Post a Comment