"We can do no great things. Only small things with great love. " Mother Theresa

March 28, 2012

I've Got This

(Fear Not). For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11

 Yes, I do know that this verse does not start with “Fear not”. Well, I know that now. But that is how it was in my head the morning I woke up after my date with God. I did not even know the verse was in Jeremiah (thank you Google for that information). You see, I am no biblical scholar. This verse was a gift.

So what is a date with God? That is exactly what I said when I checked in at Lake Lanier Island Resort for the Created for Care retreat and they asked me to sign up. You see, I have a bit of a control issue and I wasn’t comfortable not knowing what I was signing up for. “Most people say this is the best part of the retreat”. I still wasn’t sure what it was but signed my name. Because sometimes stronger than my need for control, is my need to be a people pleaser. And sometimes stronger than my need to be a people pleaser, is a fear of missing out.

 About 24 hours later, I entered my date with God with more information. I was going to experience God, to hear what he might have to say to me. That felt like a lot of pressure. So I prayed before I went in. God, please let me experience you in this place.

There were 9 different areas in the room. You could visit them all, or just one. Totally up to you. You could go to a prayer wall to pray for others or add a prayer request, paint, sculpt with play doh, read scripture, pray at maps for certain areas of the world, be prayed for, journal, or just sit and listen. While I don’t think the details of what I did in that room are important to share, I do think it is important to share this, I did experience God in that place. He did speak directly to what has been haunting me.

 See, sometimes I live in this revolve around me universe that I am here for some great calling that I am not fulfilling.

And what I heard in that place was: I’ve got this. I love you. And not because I want you to do some great thing, I just love you. Stop worrying about some great call to action and just live in relationship with me. The rest will take care of itself. I’ve got this.

 What a peace I felt. My spirit soared. I am invited to live in a relationship with him. And the rest will take care of itself. And then the next morning I awoke to these words in my head, Fear not. For I know the plans I have for you.

 So what are his plans? A camp for foster kids? I don’t know. But I love the peace I feel about it and I look forward to watching his plans unfold…and just since I posted yesterday the support that has been showered on us has been huge. Huge. And oh, I did pass a horse farm for sale on the way to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment