"We can do no great things. Only small things with great love. " Mother Theresa

July 16, 2014

Connecting the Dots: Off to Camp

I leave for camp on Sunday. Many of you know this has been a journey for me to arrive at this place.


In May of 2011, Jimmy and I boarded a plane to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia to meet precious Gabre Meti for the first time. I made a big mistake on this plane ride. I prayed, "God, please break my heart for what breaks yours." And I said it several times, just in case he didn't get that I was serious. Well, he got it.

The 3 months between our first trip and our second were a difficult season for me. I was grieving the time without Gabre home and I was grieving this new found personal awareness of God's broken heart. I felt overwhelmed with so much 'to do' and not sure where to start.

In August, after we had heard the US Embassy did not approve our visa again,  we set off for the beach. During this trip, I was walking on the beach and crying out to God when I heard from him about a retreat for orphans. And as crazy as it was it didn't go away. I wrote about the details of that vision here in I just can't hear you and again in I've Got This. God was saying to me, (Fear Not). For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11

In just a few weeks, it will be three years since this dream was first born. I have done many things over the past three years to find ways to start a camp. The process has been slow...the whole family and job and lots of time for play can get in the way. But it remained for me a task 'to do'. More about checklists and less about people. I knew God was calling me to this, but I just couldn't get anything going.

But I wasn't ready yet. I didn't know that I needed to work more on Love Being instead of Love Doing. Jennie Allen said in a post yesterday, Quit trying to change the world and just start loving it.

And on Sunday, I will get the opportunity to do just that. I will be leaving to be a counselor at Royal Family Kids Camp. A counselor of two girls currently in foster care. My only job for the week: love those girls. It is not about doing love. It is about being love.

The verse from camp... yep Jeremiah 29:11. And now, I can look back at all of this and see where God is connecting the dots. He is telling a beautiful story with each of our lives. We just have to be a willing participant.

So while I am at camp, will you consider doing two things for me:

1. Pray for me
I could use some prayer during this week at camp. While I have no doubt that this is exactly what I should be doing, I am still very nervous. I will not be in contact with my family for the entire week. I have never gone this long without talking to Jimmy since we met in 1996. Sounds sappy? It is- but very scary for me.
And I know these girls might need some big love. So pray that I know it's not about me, but allowing them to feel the love of God through me.

2. Pray to see the dots in your own life
Not sure where they are yet? No worries, just love the person in front of you and they will begin to appear.
Be love this week.

Oh...and you might want to check on Jimmy-  make sure he has plenty of wine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment